Re: [tlug] Converting my friend to Ubuntu Linux on a Powerbook

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 07:28, Dave M G wrote:
>The thing is, I was sure that Ubuntu could be installed on a Mac.
>However, I can't find the install discs for Mac on their web site. I
> was sure that installing Linux on a Mac required a special install
> disc designed for Mac.

Installing on an older (read: PowerPC) Mac does require a different
version. It looks like Ubuntu 7.04 no longer supports PowerPC, but
there are PowerPC install CDs for 6.10. Go to the download mirrors page
(http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors) and find one close to
you. Here's are two mirrors, one in Japan and one in the US; the
mirrors page will have more:

http://ftp.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/UBUNTU-CDS/6.10/ubuntu-6.10-desktop-powerpc.iso
http://mirrors.xmission.com/ubuntu-cd/6.10/ubuntu-6.10-desktop-powerpc.iso