Re: [tlug] Some UTF8 Japanese breaks out of vertical flow [SOLVED]

Stephen, Travis, Gernot,

Thank you all for responding.

I'm sorry if I missed some responses, or this email comes out of order. For some reason TLUG messages are not arriving in my inbox, and I'm having to look at the web archive to see responses.

Stephen wrote:
Note that using the break-at-spaces method you will still be easily
recognizable as a gaijin,
<silliness>
Oh no! That would be like... walking down the street!
</silliness>

as the alignment of small size characters
and punctuation, and the orientation of ellipses and dashes, should
change for vertical use.
Well, I can live without punctuation since it's just a menu. A minor constraint if I can end up with the design I want.

So if I can just get those small characters to work...

I haven't read it<wink>, but UTN #22
(http://unicode.org/notes/tn22/) may be of use here.
It was! Thank you for that link.

Slightly odd results. I tried using the HTML format for a zero sized space, &#8203; and it did force the small ã character onto the next line. But there was a visible gap, indicating a space character present, pushing the character too far to the right.

Just for comparison's sake, I tried putting in a regular space character. And that had satisfactory results. I'm guessing because the space gets stuck to the character above, and that leaves the small ã character to orient itself to left justification.

So the alignment of the small character is maybe not perfect as compared to a truly vertically aligned font would do. It's a little more distant from the character above than what would be ideal.

But it's close enough that I can live with it. Gernot's solution is acceptable after all... so long as I don't use punctuation. And besides... I don't mind people knowing I'm a gaijin.

Thank you guys for explaining what was going on with the fonts and encoding.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04