[tlug] USB "Descriptor" error

TLUG,

On the MythTV mailing list, where I'm trying to work out a problem with LIRC, someone asked me to run the following command:

$ dmesg | grep error
[ 3602.051370] usb 1-2.2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 3602.239189] usb 1-2.2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 3602.502958] usb 1-2.2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 3602.690792] usb 1-2.2: device descriptor read/64, error -71

This USB error is almost certainly not related to my LIRC troubles.

But, I wondered if it might at all be related to the troubles I've been having with my USB sound problems. (As described in another thread, and which I intend to follow up on once I have more information).

I looked up the error on Google, but I got few hits, and mostly they were just other people reporting issues.

So, I just thought I'd see if anyone here might be able to decode this a little.

Is this a bad thing? Do you think it might cause problems with my USB sound device (which is a little older and might be using USB 1.2, not 2.0).

(As a side note, I'm considering ditching the whole USB audio thing in favor of buying a much less exotic internal sound card)

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn