Re: [tlug] Open archives are bad?

On 4/22/07, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

Uva, I've been trying to wrap my head around where you're coming
from, and it just seems like we're on different wavelengths.

Thanks. I really am not trying to be a protagonist. Sometimes I don't get where I'm coming from too, until I dig a little deeper. I suppose the chord that struck me pertains to a dislike of a trend over the past 10+ years or so concerning the prolonged discourse and effort that one must go through before getting to the meat of a topic. Perhaps I've been reading too many Redbooks lately. But even so, that is only one aspect of it.

Correct me if I'm misreading you, but it seems that you feel the TLUG
archives need to be somehow better before they should be made  more
publicly accessible. In a way, it's like you're saying they don't
deserve to be more accessible because of a lack of focus, quality, or
relevance.

Perhaps it's the lets dump it in a search engine approach that disturbs me. The idea that a search engine will improve our condition doesn't ring true to me. To me it feels as if we are giving up ownership of a problem for someone else to sort out....the "thank god for search engines because we don't want to deal with this matter" mindset. But then again I'm the sole dissent, plus I've been marginalized, so the point is mute. It doesn't matter if I'm understood, at least I've had my say.

But I just can't see how the TLUG archives are any worse than anyone
else's archives. Every list has trolls, irrelevant discussions, and
other noise. Every list has a unique kind of character that is the sum
total of all the good and bad contributions of all its members. But
nonetheless, without even putting much thought into it, a Google search
will basically side step the noise and pull out those bits of data that
can help a person.

I understand your point. If we want TLUG to be just another LUG, I think we've accomplished that. TLUG has other strong points besides an archive.

As far as searches are concerned, that unfortunately hasn't been my
experience, I google 9fans with no avail at limiting trolling; and
9fans has far less trolling. But again the point is mute.

So the bottom line as I see it is that at worst, maybe no non-TLUG
member will find anything of use in the archives. At best, someone,
somewhere, may be helped. No downside, maybe some upside.

Yes, but it would be nice to improve the signal to noise ratio. To me, time is worth more than money.

Thanks for indulging me.

--Uva

<off-topic>
When we finally get the world wide mind, will it be easy to separate
access to our linux know how from that of our personal lives? Or
should we care? Something to ponder on a Sunday afternoon.
</off-topic>