[tlug] Sync Google Calendar in local calendar app

I am looking for a way to sync my Google calendar with some kind of calendar app running locally. The calendar needs to be available offline.

By sync I mean that changes in the local calendar app show in Google calendar and vice versa. i.e. two way sync.

One idea I have is to use GCALDaemon a java based program to poll an icalandar file in KDE's Kontact calendar app.
http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/index.html

I would be interested to hear of alternatives or comments on this approach.

Greg.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows or gates?
-Graham Williams