[tlug] Re: Tlug Digest, Vol 14, Issue 25

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:39:24 +0900
From: "Erin D. Hughes" <erin-hughes@??>
Subject: [tlug] What files belong to what packages?

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:21:22 +0100
From: Sigurd Urdahl <sigurdur@??>
Subject: Re: [tlug] What files belong to what packages?

> FreeBSD (I don't have a FreeBSD-boxen so this is also untested)
> 	'Tip: To find out what package a file belongs to, use
>           " |pkg_add -W filename| ". '
> 	(http://www.lugatgt.org/articles/freebsd_update/)

I'm still having FreeBSD box, so did some research:
On FreeBSD, the command is "pkg_info -W" (not pkg_add)

But for libz.so 's case, this file is included in the core system of
FreeBSD, i.e. part of OS release. For these kind of files, "pkg_info -W"
won't show up package name (because the file is not installed by package.)

$ uname -sr
FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE
$ ls -al /usr/lib/libz.so
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  14 Feb 12 22:55 /usr/lib/libz.so -> /lib/libz.so.3
$ pkg_info -W /usr/lib/libz.so
$ pkg_info -W /lib/libz.so.3
$

Hence, source of libz is located in /usr/src/lib/libz:

$ find /usr/src -type d -name "libz"
/usr/src/lib/libz
$

(If it's compiled by ports, source will be located under
/usr/ports/[Category]/[PkgName]/work/...)
--
Yoshihiro Sato