Re: [tlug] RE: Tlug Digest, Vol 14, Issue 23

On ç, 2007-02-20 at 12:04 +0900, Tribble Phillip J SrA 374 LRS/LGRTT
wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> Does anyone know a good way to backup a hard drive? dd if=/dev/had
> of=/dev/hdc will make a image exactly the size of my hard drive. Is
> there a way to use DVD and make the image small?

If you're really interested in backing up the files on the hard drive to
DVD rather than making an image, you can try scdbackup:
http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net
(Despite the name, it will back up to DVD as well.) It is very
configurable, easy to use, can compress data on the fly, can back up
files to multiple disks if necessary automatically, etc. It can use afio
for the archive, so if you need to restore the files it's a very simple
matter of doing
cd /; afio -ikv /dev/dvd

--
Stuart Luppescu -=-=- slu <AT> ccsr <DOT> uchicago <DOT> edu
CCSR at U of C ,.;-*^*-;.,  ccsr.uchicago.edu