Re: [tlug] Gentoo as a Server.

Tribble Phillip J SrA 374 LRS/LGRTT wrote:
> I was browsing my typical Linux news websites and came across this
> website about Gentoo @
> http://www.playingwithwire.com/2007/01/why-gentoo-shouldnt-be-on-your-se
> rver.html . I thought this would be great for newbie's and the many
> Gentoo fans that TLUG has. I was even thinking of switching to Gentoo at
> home. Does anyone recommend Gentoo over Debian as a server?

I have switched from Debian stable on a production server to Gentoo. " A
server" is far to general to be meaningful.  If you are in a small
business environment and the general unix skills of the IT people/person
is fairly basic then you would probably be best to stick to something
fairly basic.  If you want the optimal setup and have the time, skills
and staff to do it I would recommend Gentoo over binary based
distributions for servers.

Edward