Re: [tlug] Text recommendations for AJAX, Javascript, and CSS

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 02:24:25PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for texts in Japanese on AJAX,
> Javascript, and CSS.  XHTML, too, come to think of it.  They should be
> accessible to beginners, but be accurate and reasonably comprehensive
> so that they can serve as references in practical work.
>
> 1. Accurate and comprehensive is most important.
>
> 2. Accessible is next.  These are for a library for my RAs/TAs, so I'm
>    willing to walk them through the hard parts.  They just shouldn't
>    read like an RFC (I know where to find RFCs and W3C recommendations
>    when I want them!)
>
> 3. They do have to be in Japanese, but if you know a good English text
>    from a publisher known to translate a lot (O'Reilly, I'm looking at
>    you!), recommend it whether or not you know for sure there's a
>    Japanese translation.
>
> These can be print or online.  I'll default to buying O'Reilly if I
> don't get recommendations for a particular technology, so if you know
> that some O'Reilly title that fits the subject but doesn't satisfy the
> requirements, please let me know about that, too.

O'Reilly, of course......

Looking at their Japanese site, I see

HTML & XHTML, 5th edition
CSS The Definitive Guide, 2nd edition

I use both of these (in English) and they are current enough to be
useful.

Unfortunately, "Javascript, the Definitive Guide" is only up to
3rd edition in Japanese (they have just - August 2006 - published
the 5th edition in English). Javascript is rapidly evolving and
while the 3rd edition *might* be useful as an introductory text
it is really too out of date to be useful in the real world. In
particular, the XMLHttpRequest object (the foundation of AJAX) is
not covered until the 5th edition.

HTH,

Ed