Re: [tlug] system clock jump

Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com>, 2006-10-03 20:41 +0900:

> When I start Etch, the system clock keeps jumping 13 hours ahead.

What I said previously about mine doing the same thing wasn't
entirely correct. Mine is ahead also, but by 9 hours.

> When I try to run hwclock, I get this:
>
>     dim5150c:/home/chuck# /sbin/hwclock -s
>     select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

I just restarted my machine to look back through the messages that
roll by at startup, and find this:

  Setting the system clock..
  select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out
  select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out
  System Clock set. Local time: Thu Oct  5 03:27:28 JST 2006

Then a little further along:

  Setting the system clock again..

...with the same "select() timed out" and time off by 9 hours.

So I change UTC=no to UTC=yes in /etc/default/rcS and restart.

  Setting the system clock..
  select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out
  select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out
  System Clock set. Local time: Thu Oct  5 18:29:55 UTC 2006

So the clock seems to actually be set to local JST time, but with
UTC=no, the system goes ahead and adds 9 hours to it because it
thinks it's set to UTC time. And with UTC=yes, it displays it
as-is (because it thinks it's set to UTC time...). I guess.

  --Mike