Re: [tlug] outsourcing email service

Edmund Edgar wrote:
I outsourced my company's e-mail services about 18 months ago. - we use a company in the US called Excedent. (Their site is at http://www.webmail.us). They do 50 1GB mailboxes for $100 per month.

It makes sense for us because I'm the only person here who can maintain the server (we're a test prep school with about 50 employees), so if I fall under a bus or get on a plane and something breaks down it could be a long time before I could fix it.

<snip>

Excedent have a very good webmail service as well, but unfortunately it doesn't support Japanese so we can't use it. Experimentally, I've found that I can run the Japanese-patched version of Squirrelmail successfully having it connect to their IMAP servers. This is the kind of thing I don't mind running myself (on an external rental server) as it's less mission-critical and doesn't need to store any data to speak of.

We have had 2 outages (both unplanned) in 18 months, each between 3 and 6 hours and caused by screw-ups at the provider. Although I think they're getting better... This is worse than the couple of years before when I ran the thing in-house on a cheap Dell server, which only went down for preannounced power outages, kernel updates and a very quick server migration, but I think that was more by luck than judgement...

Thank you. Searching the web results in a lot of marketing hype, so it is invaluable to get real testimonials that I know where not cooked up by the folks in marketing.

Thank you,
Micheal