Re: [tlug] outsourcing email service

Keith Bawden wrote:
Micheal E. Cooper wrote:
Logically, a company with a data center, backup facilities, a spam/virus
firewall, and full-time support should be able to host plenty of virtual
mail servers and use the economies of scale to offer other organizations
email support for less than it costs to do it in-house.

I have looked this up on the web, read articles, and sifted through
Flash-y advertisements. I have also sent a couple of inquiries to
virtual server providers. I also sent an inquiry to Zimbra.

But I would also like to get experience (even biased), personal input
from TLUGgers, to make sense of the noise on the net.

What do you think about the wisdom of outsourcing email to an off-site
service?

Is anyone doing this?

If you think it is a good idea, do you have any recommendations, even if
it is your own company?

Micheal

Hello,

There is hosted gmail to consider.

Regards, Keith

Thank you. I am considering it. I signed up for the service and was accepted automatically, but it only allows for 100 users (I need about 400), and it can be terminated at any time.

Also, there is no info on whether users can transfer their present mail archives over.

It is a surprisingly easy sign-up, though. The first page says that you will be contacted if accepted, and then it moves immediately to the set-up screen for the admin account, so I was a bit surprised.

Micheal