Re: [tlug] New Custom Server for Linux - Advice Needed

> 400,000 yen is a lot for a system. I'd expect that a system like this
> could be built for around 150,000-200,000 unless you're really going top
> of the line.

I'd have to agree with this- my server was under 20 man, but then again,
no bells or whistles. You can easily spend 40 man on a server, but why buy
a ferrarri for in town travel?

One other thing, oftentimes you will hear people saying "server class hardware", but take that with a
grain of salt- one of our Dell servers here at work had 3 scci drives fail
in a raid5 array simultaneously. It had these cheap seagate drives that
are prone to failure in my experience. So just because you build it
yourself doesn't inherently make it any less reliable than something built
by a major OEM: on the contrary sometimes manufacturers cut corners that
you wouldn't. Also, here at work I built 6 out of 12 of our servers,
and haven't had any problems with any of them (knock on wood)- a few have
been online for 4 years now. They were 5 times less expensive than if I
had purchased a prebuilt server at same specs.

I agree with going for quality RAM - it does make a difference, but
sometimes it is hard to find in Akihabara. I went to 6 different stores
before I could track down the RAM I was looking for (ECC registered), I
eventually found it in a store that sells gaming stuff by Users side.

Anyway good luck with it.

Cheers,

Scott VanDusen