Re: [tlug] New Custom Server for Linux - Advice Needed

Hi Matt,

Last month I built basically what you are going for:

> *	Dual CPU with hyper threading

dual core 64 bit AMD

> *	RAID 5 (Software or Hardware - what do you recommend?)

software raid 5 on 4 SATA drives

> *	4GB of Memory

yes indeed!

> Motherboard, CPU, RAID setup, etc.

Tyan makes good server class motherboards, no unnecessary graphics
acceleration stuff, just solid architecture. Dual core AMDs are the
bee's knees as far as I'm concerned, and software RAID5 is really easy
to setup these days.

> Also, does anyone have recommendations on where I can go in Tokyo to
> purchase this hardware at a competitive price?

Akihabara Users Side:

http://www.users-side.co.jp/

And if you really want to geek out, go fanless with liquid cooling. I'm
running at 47C, no sound at all coming from server:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/zalman-res1plus.html

Cheers,

Scott VanDusen