Re: [tlug] eggs in the cellphone basket (was: Stop the FUD! here are some facts on the DMCA)

Joe Larabell <fred62@???> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Josh Glover wrote:
>
> The chip is called FeliCa. It's used in both Edy and Suica cards.
>
>   http://www.sony.net/Products/felica/
>
> I believe you can already get credit card capability in a FeliCa-based
> product. I have seen ads for Mitsui-Sumitomo that seem to imply I
> could hook a Suica keitai to my bank account too.

Thanks for the details !

> As for eggs in a basket, though, most people carry all their cards in
> one wallet anyway -- the loss of which is usually a catastrophic
> event. I'm not sure the keitai is any more of a risk.

My concern is that Keitai theft is very easy. You just have to spot
someone doing a phone call or writing an email, thrust into him/her and
take the Keitai while the person is in shock.

I know this happens in Paris because some of the cellphones are very
expensive, and it would happen more if there is more added value to a
cellular phone, like it being a debit- or credit-card.

As for credit cards, it is always possible to keep them separate from
the wallet by having a small card holder that you can always have it in
your pocket.

> What I'd be concerned about is the tracking capability. When I buy
> something with a credit card, I don't usually have to show the vendor
> anything more than the card itself. While I have no concrete
> information that FeliCa is any different, there is no technical reason
> keeping the system s/w folks from writing POS firmware that scans far
> more information that what would be needed to make the purchase.
>
> The other worrisome thing is that Sony is behind FeliCa. We all know
> how responsible Sony is when it comes to individual privacy. It would
> be nice if more details were available about what information is
> retained and how it can/cannot be accessed.

You are right. I hadn't thought about that.

Evan