Re: [tlug] Leaving Windows Part 1: Japanese input

On 8/6/06, Shannon Jacobs <shannon.jacobs@example.com> wrote:
Okay, here's today's question. On most of my Ubuntu Linux boxes I've
managed to configure them so that pressing the hankaku/zenkaku key
works as a toggle for Anthy. On this particular machine, it doesn't
work, and I can't figure out what I did wrong in this specific case.
SCIM, Anthy, UIM, and the related components appear to be installed,
but I'm unable to access them. The keyboard correction has been
configured. Not sure what else to check or look for at this point.

So where do I look to figure out what's broken?

From your other mail it seems that it is not the hankaku/zenkaku key
that doesn't work, but Japanese input as a whole.

I think that we can help you for this, but you should give us more
details first, so that we can understand the situation. Here are a few
questions:

1) what is your linux distribution?
2) what packages related to uim, xim, scim, anthy did you install
3) what is your locale (open a terminal and type "locale" and paste
the results here)
4) what configuration files did you change and how?
5) do you use gnome or kde?
6) do you see SCIM's applet somewhere? (I think it is a little crown
in your taskbar) did you try to change the input method using the
applet?

Evan