Re: [tlug] Content management system

Michael Engel <mkengel@example.com> wrote:

> We are working on a free Chinese-German* dictionary:

Close enough.

> We ... are looking for an OpenSource management system
> [for a free Chinese-German* dictionary] which allows several
> users to work together - even on the same document.

That simultaneity will be the hard part.

> Could you please recommend us products which are if possible multi-OS
> (Linux, Windows + eventually Macintosh) ?

I can only help you refine your question
and tell you where to look.

What part do you want to run on Linux, Windows or OSX?
Server or client?

Client:

   For good portability, just use the browser recommended at this site:

      http://www.ie7.com/

   Actually, your web server should generate clean HTML so that
   any standards compliant browser would be fine. Check your HTML here:

      http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer

   There are some other web browsers that work on those three OSs.

Server:

   You don't need the CMS software to run on all three OSs.
   Your request to have code run under all three OSs seems odd.

   Pick _one_ OS.
   Linux will give you the greatest flexibility and control.

I can only tell you where to look for open source software:

   http://freshmeat.net/