Re: [tlug] can't view iso-2022 in mutt

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 11:41:47AM +0900, Mauro Sauco wrote:
> On 2006/08/06@??:12, <Scott Robbins> wrote:
>   Scott> I can't read Jim Breen's Japanese.
>   Scott>
>   Scott> I run FreeBSD, fluxbox, and as I said, mlterm.  The mlterm
>   Scott> program has an option for ISO-2022, however, setting it doesn't
>   Scott> help.
>
> I believe libiconv is doing the dirty job of transcoding ISO-2022.
> You provably need ICONV and S-LANG instead of NCOURSES enabled at
> compile time.
> I am using Mutt 1.5.9i and have no problems with ISO-2022 with the
> following config.

Firstly a huge thank you.  Now, you've shown me where to look.  (As I
said in my original post, I wasn't sure if this was a FreeBSD issue,
mutt issue or xterm issue.)

I'm actually using muttng (At the time, it had something that mutt-devel
didn't have, and I've just never bothered to switch back.)

It's almost midnight here (EDT) so I probably won't get to it tonight.
However, here is my mutt -v
- ------------------------------

Mutt-ng devel-r804 (based on Mutt 1.5.11/2005-09-15)
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt-ng comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `muttng -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `muttng -vv' for details.

System:
  FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT (i386)
External Libraries:
  ncurses 5.2
  libiconv 1.9
  DB4 4.1.25
Compile Options:
  -DEBUG
  -HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE
  -USE_FCNTL  +USE_FLOCK   -USE_INODESORT   +USE_HCACHE
  -USE_POP  -USE_NNTP  -USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  -USE_GNUTLS  -USE_SASL  -USE_LIBESMTP
  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX  -COMPRESSED
  +HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
  +HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME  -CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME  -BUFFY_SIZE -SUN_ATTACHMENT
  +ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET  +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
  +HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  -HAVE_GETADDRINFO
Built-In Defaults:
  -DOMAIN
  -ISPELL
  +SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
  +MAILPATH="/var/mail"
  +PKGDATADIR="/usr/local/share/muttng"
  +PKGDOCDIR="/usr/local/share/doc/mutt-ng"
  +SYSCONFDIR="/usr/local/etc"
  +EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
  -MIXMASTER

To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-ng-devel@example.com>.
To visit the Mutt-ng homepage go to http://www.muttng.org.
To report a bug, please use the fleang(1) utility.

Mutt-ng is based on the following patches written for mutt:

patch-1.5.6.cb.current_shortcut.2
patch-1.5.6.tt.assumed_charset.1
patch-1.5.6.tg.hcache.12
patch-1.5.5.1.pdmef.short_mbox_name.1
rr.compressed
patch-1.5.4.fw.maildir_inode_sort
patch-1.4.admcd.gnutls.59d
patch-1.5.6i.sidebar.20041122
patch-1.5.4.aw.listreply.1
vvv.initials
patch-1.5.5.1.cd.purge_message.3.4
patch-1.5.5.1.cd.trash_folder.3.4
patch-1.5.5.1.cd.edit_threads.9.5
patch-1.5.4.cd.ifdef.1
patch-1.5.4.cd.source_multiple.2
vvv.quote
vvv.nntp

I'm leaving your mutt -v here for comparison.

> :mutt -v
> [..]
> Compile options:
> -DOMAIN
> -DEBUG
> -HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE
> +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK   -USE_INODESORT
> -USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  +USE_SSL  -USE_GNUTLS  -USE_SASL
> -USE_SASL2
> +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
> +HAVE_COLOR  -HAVE_START_COLOR  -HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  -HAVE_BKGDSET
> -HAVE_CURS_SET  -HAVE_META  -HAVE_RESIZETERM
> +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME
> -CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME  -BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
> +ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
> +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
> +HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID
> +HAVE_GETADDRINFO  -USE_HCACHE
> ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"
> SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
> MAILPATH="/var/mail"
> PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
> SYSCONFDIR="/usr/etc"
> EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
> -MIXMASTER
> [..]

> I use a utf-8 enabled terminal and kick mutt as follows:
>
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 MM_CHARSET=UTF-8 mutt

I kick it off with either LC_CTYPE of ja_JP.UTF-8 or en_US.UTF-8
depending upon whether I simply type mutt in mlterm or use a fluxbox
keybinding.  (the result with ISO-2022-JP is the same however.

> We could better help you if you give us more info like version compile
> options etc.

Shown above---I think I just took the defaults, but will probably play
with it more tomorrow.   (In my first post, I wasn't sure if mutt was
what I should be looking at, so didn't include it then.)

> Hope this helps.

As I said, it most certainly does, it shows me where to start digging.

Thank you again.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Anya: What a day. Gimme a beer.
Bartender: (deadpan) ID.
(Anya glares at him.)
Bartender: (deadpan) ID.
Anya: I'm eleven hundred and twenty years old! Just gimme a
frickin' beer!
Bartender: (deadpan) ID.
Anya: (sigh) Gimme a Coke.