Re: [tlug] iPod considered harmful

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Josh> Even if I could purchase music, my computer cannot play the
>     Josh> music without first removing the DRM (which is a DMCA
>     Josh> violation, as far as I know).
>
> No, it's not.  Circumventing copy protection per se is *never* a DMCA
> violation.

Oh, but it is. Maybe not in Japan, but for those living in the US just
circumventing the DRM encryption scheme at all is illegal:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA

and, for those who do not trust Wikipedia:

  http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/?f=unintended_consequences.html

> distributing technology to circumvent copy protection *is* a DMCA
> violation.

That too.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org                     for thou art crunchy
                                  and goest well with cheese.