[tlug] Trying to clarify the idea of a "Bye-bye Windows" segment

Sorry, but it's kind of hard for me to provide good context here. I'm
working from digests, and often from memory. One of the awkward
features of Gmail is that it throws the incoming messages only to the
first POP request, so I sometimes lose track who-said-what-when when I
switch computers.

So trying to provide sufficient context here (and probably being out
of phase pending the next digest), I commented that the meeting,
though mostly interesting, didn't address my primary interest of
moving farther away from Windows. Not a big bother to me, but I'd
guess that many people would be appalled by the very notion of
learning to compile a kernel. (Actually, one of the cute features of
Ubuntu is that it retains prior kernels for GRUB.)

In response, there were a number of concrete suggestions and offers to
help, but I didn't really know where to begin apart from the topics I
listed several days ago. (Well, actually there are a couple of others,
but I didn't think they were potentially interesting enough.) It's
nice that the expertise is available, and nicer that the experts are
eager to help, but even that might be overwhelming for some people.
However, I tend to meta-out of problems like that, so I reconsidered
in terms of adapting it as a potentially interesting activity for the
meetings. My thought was that people could ask questions, perhaps
here, and then a couple of them could be selected for answering at the
meeting. Maybe a 15-minute segment with the demonstration?

Then again, part of the problem is that I'm actually a pretty lousy
student... For this kind of thing I generally find it easier to learn
by osmosis. Or I just read the entire manual... Structured lectures
aren't usually my bag.