Re: [tlug] Upgraded the kernel!! (was: Upgrading the kernel...?)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:23:15 +0900, Dave M G <martin@example.com>
wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who helped steer me through this, especially
> Godwin, Scott, Stephen, and Botond.

For my part I think I may have kicked you through it more than steered
you, but hey, you have to be cruel to be kind sometimes, right? :)

Once the bruising has worn off you might want to dig deeper into this
and build yourself a better-optimized kernel. Kernels configured for
distros are usually kitchen-sink jobs with all kinds of things you'll
never need. More often than not they're also built for Pentium chips
(or, worse still, for 486 or 386 chips), but you can change the target
processor and take full advantage of the more modern chip in your
machine.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Are Linux users lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?
        -- Matt Welsh