Re: [tlug] Upgrading to PHP5 on Fedora

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 00:07 +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> TLUG,
>
> My hosting service allows me enough access to do things like handle my
> own upgrades and full administrative access. Usually, because I am more
> of a web designer than an server administrator, I get their support
> staff to manage upgrades and installations.
Dave did you ever consider setting up a server at your place and hosting the site/sites from there?

> However, that does cost money,

This the route I take.... and the cost is about 9000 yen a year.
3000 for www.dyndns.com Dynamic DNS service
1500 for Domain Name Registration
4500 in additional power consumption a year.
------
9000 <--- all costs are rough estimates you can find cheaper if look
just what I have been paying and not really worth the hassle to switch.

Hosting at your house gives you these benefits:
Pros
1. TOTAL AND COMPLETE CONTROL over your system upgrades hardware and
software.
2. The ability to trouble shoot your own problems with out having to
talk to someone at a data center who doesn't know or care about your
system.
3. You learn the basics of just about every aspect of the system.... no
I am not saying you will know everything or even need to but these are
skills that can be handy to a programmer or web designer (IE knowing
whats under the hood)
4. Helps you stay warm in the winter... see conns
5. Something to talk/yell to/at besides the TV.

Cons
1. TOTAL AND COMPLETE responsibility over your system, upgrades,
hardware and software.
1. Noise I live in a 1K server near the bed..... guests do not sleep
well sometimes.
2. Warm in the summer also
3. Outages are usually caused by your own stupidity, hence are more
embarrassing.  IE switching banks and not sending the new bank info to
YahooBB, leaving the window open so the server gets wet etc.
4. You are not going to stream video or audio and large files will cause
viewers some problems but if you are making a web app or just showing
some text and pictures....
5. You only get one IP ....most cases... but that is what virtual hosts
are for.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Obviously we are not talking about a business class service level but we
are talking about cheap. For some on learning or just hosting their
hobby site or what ever... this is fine.... till you get slashdot`d.

E./