Re: [tlug] Upgrading to PHP5 on Fedora

I agree, but...

> Cons
> 1. TOTAL AND COMPLETE responsibility over your system, upgrades,
> hardware and software.

  1A. Hardware failure at an inconvenient time can put your site off the
      air for quite a while.

You might have to add something to the monthly cost estimate for disk/fan
replacement, as 24/7 service will cause them to die sooner than they might
have otherwise.

> 4. You are not going to stream video or audio and large files will cause
> viewers some problems but if you are making a web app or just showing
> some text and pictures....
> 5. You only get one IP ....most cases... but that is what virtual hosts
> are for.

If you're lucky enough to live in an area serviced by Usen, you can get a
100Mb fiber with 5 IPs for not much more than what ADSL was going for five
years ago (maybe 3000-5000 yen, I haven't looked in a while). I haven't
tried streaming yet -- but I don't think I'd have a problem if I did.

The other cool thing about Usen is that they bring 100Base-T right to the
jack so you don't have to fiddle with IP-over-ATM or anything like that.

> Obviously we are not talking about a business class service level but we
> are talking about cheap. For some on learning or just hosting their
> hobby site or what ever... this is fine.... till you get slashdot`d.

Actually my home server (larabell.net, among others) has better response
most of the time than the domains I host at pair.com. So much of the
perceived network performance is dependent on the load on the server and
intermediate routers that the bandwidth of the pipe to one's home just
seem to doesn't figure in. Besides, unless you're running a porn site or
your own private iTunes, the traffic probably shouldn't be enough to cause
any trouble

The sites I *don't* run at home are those I can't afford to have down the
next time I upgrade my server or tear it apart to add more disks, etc...

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org                     for thou art crunchy
                                  and goest well with cheese.