Re: [tlug] Picasa for Linux

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

Jim Tittsler wrote:

Google Labs has released Picasa for Linux (x86 only). Picasa is their free photo organizing/editing/sharing tool which has previously been available only on Windows. Rather than making a "native" application, they bundle a modified version of Wine (and the Gecko engine) with the application.
 http://picasa.google.com/linux/

On my Fedora Core 3 system, it works, but is rather fragile. .....

Thanks for mentioning this!  I immediately went to the site and noticed
that there are three versions of it - one for RedHat & SuSE, one for
Debian & Ubuntu, and one for everything else.  I downloaded the one for
SuSE and installed it onto SuSE 9.3 with no problems. ......  I'll report back later on how it works, but so far it's looking okay.

It's working fine on my system so far.  When it comes to it indexing
your hard drive for image files though, be prepared to let it work for a
while if you have a lot of stuff.  I have saved some website pages for
example, and every little graphic bit from those is something Picasa
looks for.  It took about five hours(!) for it to finish going over my
hard drive, but it's working fine (so far) and I'm looking forward to
trying some photo editing with it.  One more step towards total freedom
from brand-W!!  Banzai!!!  Long live Google!!!

Lyle