Re: [tlug] OGG & MP3

On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:07:47 +0200, Godwin Stewart
<godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:

> > but what I need to do is to *make* them.
>
> "oggenc" is in the vorbistools package. The oggenc man page is one of
> the better-written ones IMO.

While I think of it, if you want to go from MP3 to OGG you'll need an
intermediary step. I usually use WAV:

$ mpg123 -v -w tempfile.wav yourfile.mp3
$ oggenc -o yourfile.ogg tempfile.wav
$ rm tempfile.wav

I do not know how to extract any metadata (such as ID3 tags) from an
MP3 file, but it's easy enough to add them to a .ogg file either on the
oggenc command line, or using vorbiscomment(1).

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Frisbeetarianism, n.:
        The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and
gets stuck.