[tlug] CDs with LVM Tools (was Kubuntu 6.06 Seems Good So Far)

What is the most general bootable CD with LVM Tools?

Why?

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:43:44 -0700 Alain Hoang <hoanga@example.com> wrote:

> Once you drink the LVM Kool-Aid you need to drink it hard since
> your filesystems are sitting on top of it.

Yup.

> My suggestion is keep a LVM HOWTO in hard copy next to your
> machine in case something blows up.

Amen brother. LVM is a whole 'nother level of complexity.
You also need to keep the appropriate bootable CD with
LVM tools (as you go on to discuss below) with that documentation.

> I just ran into that problem when trying to boot an older Knoppix
> disk I had lying around to try to recover a LVM2-enabled machine.
> It kept insisting it was UNIONFS and did not seem to have a LVM2
> module available at all.

<sigh>That problem persists with Knoppix 5.0</sigh>

> Luckily, the Gentoo Install CD has the LVM2 modules so you can
> use the Gentoo install CD to troubleshoot any LVM-enabled disk.

In my case, I need to diddle an Fedora Core 3 (FC3) LVM drive.
FC3 has a rescue CD with the LVM tools so I used it:

   http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/FC3-i386-rescuecd.iso

What is the most general bootable CD for LVM tools?
Having the FC3 rescue CD obviously was a great match for FC3.
Likewise Gentoo Install CD for Gentoo, but what bootable CD
is most general. Between FC3 and Gentoo, I would expect Gentoo
to be more general, but I can not _prove_ that. Also, there
might be bootable CDs better than either my FC3 rescue disk
or your Gentoo Install CD.

> But once you get the hang of using LVM2 it isn't THAT bad.

I've getting that feeling.

Jim