Re: [tlug] Kubuntu 6.06 Seems Good So Far

 On Thursday, April 06, 2006, at 02:29AM, Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:

>XFS does support expanding just not shrinking, which is not so much of a
>problem.  The big advantage XFS has over ext2, ext3 is robust live
>filesystem resizing. e.g.
>
>lvextend -L+500M && xfs_growfs /
>
>or
>
>lvextend -L+500M && cryptsetup resize home.cryptfs && xfs_growfs /home
>
>and you have 500M added to your respective filesystem ;)

Wow, very nice!   It's better than the song and dance you have to do to play with ext3 filesystems at least from what I found on Google.  Too bad for my particular case I needed to shrink a volume not grow one so xfs won't help in that case.  So as long as you are always growing and never shrinking xfs is a good idea.  My experiences with xfs so far have been positive over ext3 (it certainly recovers MUCH quicker than ext3 when doing fsck checks).

And in most cases filesystem sizes only increase, never shrink.  But shrinking does have its purposes such as when the filesystem is taking all available HDD space and you wanted to reallocate some of that space for other purposes.  (Of course one could argue you should have planned your allocations better but that's a different discussion)

However, for my particular environment ext3 is required for building some other subsystem so I'm afraid xfs is out in this case.   However, if I wrote the rules...