Re: [tlug] First impressions of Gentoo

On 30/01/06, Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:

> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> > (4) A web browser,
> > preferably a feature-stripped build of links, should be part of the
> > initial install.  (If you've got the bonus question right, you don't
> > need this.)
>
> This should definitely be part of the install CD, or it should be
> available as text or something viewable with less.

The install CD itself does have a non-X dependent links, but that is
not part of stage3, strangely enough.

> If you were going to go this way it would probably be better to just
> make stage4 tar for newbies that has the system with these
> configurations.

This is a great idea. However, how do we solve Steve's problem for
newbies to Gentoo? I am pretty sure, given Gentoo's development
climate, that an official stage4 would Never Happen.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Josh