Re: [tlug] Is Prime PC a good enough place to buy a PC

Dave Gutteridge <dave@example.com> wrote:

> 	Also, on a related note. I notice they're selling Athlon 64 bit
> processors. But from what I've read on the CentOS mailing list that I
> belong to, a 64 bit processor would require special builds for any
> applications run on it.

Only if you run a 64 bit OS, and most of them can still run 32-bit apps
if you install the 32-bit libraries.  Getting 64 bit apps is no problem
as x86-64 is now a quite common architecture and most distributions
support it.  Ubuntu does, you can see they have AMD64 install CD in the
download page.

Failing all that, you can just run a 32-bit OS and it will just work
like any other PC.

> I'm just a home user with general needs. Is a 64
> bit processor perhaps not worthwhile for me?

You probably don't need it, but there's not much of a price difference
(sometimes none).  And it may come in handy in 2038 when 32-bit time_t
rolls over :)

Stephen