[tlug] KVM switches

"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> >
> >KVM switches can give problems with all sorts of operating systems.
>
> Are newer KVM switches any better?  Or am I just going to have to
> abondone them?  I hope not, as I don't have the physical space to hook
> up a monitor for each and every computer....

Newer KVM switches can be better, as some of them can emulate a
monitor/mouse/keyboard instead of just passing the signal through,
meaning that you can turn on a PC without first having to switch to it.
This doesn't work in all cases though, as the KVM might not be emulating
the mouse you want to use, US KVMs not emulating JP keyboards correctly,
etc.

Newer KVMs usually emulates more types of keyboard/mouse in general,
check the box/manufacturer's site for a supported keyboard/mouse list.

FWIW, I'm currently using this KVM.

http://www.corega.co.jp/product/list/changer/pc4uda.htm

It works okay for normal operations, but --

it isn't compatible with nForce 4 (have to put a USB2 hub in between to
get it to work -- saw several reports of this too).

if you boot in the background, the OS might come up in a different
resolution.

USB is designed with hot-plug in mind, so it works well in general.
However, most M/B doesn't work well with USB kb/mouse in legacy mode
(emulating PS/2).  For example, if you boot DOS from a USB flash disk
you can lose the keyboard during boot.  PS/2 still works much better in
this regard, and I usually attach a PS/2 keyboard when installing
OSes.

Stephen