[tlug] GPS units in Japan

The Garmin Vista series is great for handheld, and the maps you can buy for it to download into the unit are great (of course Windows only). But the Japan version costs about twice what I paid for my USA version at REI, and the dealers I talked to, and Garmin, say you cannot use the Japanese maps from Garmin on the USA hardware.

By the way, the newer USB Garmins have much much better screens, more memory and much improved battery life and signal capture, but are a tad large for hand held. I had no problem using the Vista on a usb only machine using a serial to usb converter (under Mac OS 9).

I would love to use Japan maps and Linux with my US Garmin, rather than doing manual lat-long input for peak and temple bagging. So I hope someone can tell me how to do it!

David Riggs, Kyoto