Re: [tlug] Japanese Input on CentOS / KDE

Scott,

    I think it would be a shame to take this off-list, although I will
of course do so if the list moderators or members in general say we
definitely should. But surely it would be good to have this here so that
in case someone else comes here looking for this info, you could just
point them to this thread in the archives. I know I'd like to know it
was in the archives in case I need to come back and retrace my steps.

    Anyway, thank you for helping me walk through this. And if you need
any help with updating your web page about this to make it more visually
friendly and newbie- accessible, I would love to help. I'm both an
XHTML/CSS/Graphics wiz and a complete Linux newbie.

    To address your points directly -
    My objectives and Japanese level:
    I'm good enough with reading and writing Japanese that I could
easily take on a Japanese OS environment. And I do at work. But at home
I want my OS and it's menus and interface to be in English, where I feel
nice and comfortable. I need the ability to input Japanese and switch
back and forth at will. Essentially, and I hope I won't raise any issues
by making this comparison, I'm looking for the same level of
functionality that I had with the Global IME in Windows. The ability to
turn on and off Japanese input at will in a variety of applications that
support the feature, regardless of whether or not the application is
itself Japanese.
    CentOS should be, as I'm sure you know better than me, equivelant to
Red Hat Enterprise or Fedora, and I'm working within KDE, as I believed
I mentioned. I'm led to believe that this set up can, in theory, do what
I am looking for, so hopefully I'm not just thinking wishfully.

    The current set up:
    I think by now I have installed just about every type of Japanese
input available to Linux, and a multitude of supporting services,
variables, and options. When I first installed CentOS, I opted for
Japanese support, although that never really meant anything. So I have
this GUI for switching between languages and it seems to have advanced
settings for choosing options. But I've noticed that whenever you ask a
Linux guru anything about anything, they tell you how to do it at the
command prompt. So here goes:
[root@example.com dave]# udatedb
bash: udatedb: command not found
[root@example.com dave]# /usr/bin/updatedb
[root@example.com dave]# which scim
/usr/bin/which: no scim in
(/usr/kerberos/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/home/dave/bin)
[root@example.com dave]# locate anthy | more
[root@example.com dave]# locate scim-anthy.  | more
[root@example.com dave]# locale -a | grep ja_JP
ja_JP
ja_JP.eucjp
ja_JP.ujis
ja_JP.utf8

I hope that this sheds some light on what's going on with my current
system. I look forward to any advice that may come of this information.

Thanks

Dave