[tlug] Knoppix Hacks

I just picked up the new book _Knoppix Hacks_ (by Kyle Rankin--an
O'Reilly book).

I'd have to say that if you are a relatively newbie who is interested
in trying to do Linux from a Debian/KDE approach (as distinguished
from the Mandrake/Fedora rpm way), or if you have a friend whom you
would like to introduce to Linux, and get them started via Debian,
this is one of the best books I have yet seen.

Although the opening chapters are Knoppix-oriented, most of the
"hacks" explained in the larger portion of the book are just basic
KDE/Debian packages and ways of doing things, that are explained in an
intelligent and accessible manner. Although the book is basically
introductory in nature, many of the tools and techniques described in
the later chapters are somewhat advanced, and so I found out a lot of
things that as a three-year user of Linux, I had not heard of before.

Regards,

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University