Re: [tlug] Re: kinput problems with Debian sarge

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:09:39 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Note that after the dash is distro-internal versioning.  "3.1" is
> (almost surely) the most recent upstream version.  The -4 and -8 are
> non-comparable.
>
> If you really want to do this from source (you probably don't), you
> should get BOTH the deb-src from Debian and SRPM from Red Hat.
>
> Extract the contents of the SRPM (but DO NOT prepare the build), and
> look at the patches.  Throw away the patches that make the built app
> conform to RH installation policy.
>
> Prepare the Debian sources for building.  Before building apply the
> relevant RH patch(es).  debian/rules --root-cmd fakeroot binary, and
> you may be golden.
>
> I would advise moving away from kinput2, though.  The source code is,
> well, "it's this style of coding that gives C a bad name", to
> paraphrase myself paraphrasing Simon Cozens....

Thanks Stephen.  I had assumed the -8 was a distro (redhat) specific
patch/extension (as it normally is), but I wasn't completely convinced
because of a few things I had read.

Indeed, moving away from kinput2 is the advice best taken.  I did.
I'm now running uim with an anthy back-end.  Beautiful to say the
least.  My wife loves it.

Patrick.  Thanks for the advice on im-ja.  While I chose not to go
with it (I'm trying to stay completely debian "official" -- sort of a
personal experiment -- yes... very hard.), it did get me looking at
other things.  I chose UIM only because it is in the "official" sarge
repository.

For those who do not know of it, have a look.  Quite interesting stuff.

http://uim.freedesktop.org  (freedesktop seems to be down at the moment)

Thanks for everyone's help.  I hope I can return the favor.

--
Mike Gauthier
All-purpose lackey

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin