Re: [tlug] Weird problem with xine and KDE

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:33:22 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Godwin> So, I have a nice easy question. What have I screwed up in
>     Godwin> KDE-3.2.3? :)
>
> Maybe you shoulda waited for 3.2.4!

If you're serious I'm willing to give it a spin. We're talking about a day
compiling it here on a P-III/550.

> Is a new kicker part of the 3.2.3 distro?

Yes, it's part of kdebase.

> If so, have you tried the 3.1 kicker with the other parts up-to-date?

I hadn't but just did. Same story.

Interestingly enough, if I ^Z xine then X and kicker settle down after about
20 seconds. If I 'fg' it again, X and kicker turn back to molasses after
5-10 seconds, so it's obviously something that xine is telling X to do (not
kicker directly because xine doesn't know anything about KDE, and I'm
beginning to think I don't either...)

> Does it help if you unmap all the xine windows?  How about unmapping
> the taskbar?

You'll have to run me through that.

The only reference to 'unmap' I found on google was to do with kernel memory
management and I doubt that's what you meant here.

> You could try running xev on the taskbar or the xine window(s) to see
> what untoward X traffic is going by.

Yes, there are quite a few spurious(?) events going to one of the xine
windows:

ConfigureNotify event, serial 15, synthetic YES, window 0x2200a66,
    event 0x2200a66, window 0x2200a66, (784,44), width 250, height 222,
    border_width 0, above 0x0, override NO

> Sometimes xtrapstats has something interesting to report (eg, thousands of
> window property events per second suggests a race of some kind).
> (Although the xtrap* utilities are present on my Debian sid box, the
> server doesn't have the extension, so YMMV.)

<aol>

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.7-em8300)