Re: [tlug] routing question

Hi,

On Jun 26, 2004, at 9:49 PM, Botond Botyanszki wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:03:06 +0900
> uvacoder@example.com wrote:
> [snip]
> I have no problem accessing this network from the firewall, but cant
> get
> to the zaurus at 192.168.129.201. Same in reverse.
>
> In a diagram it's like this:
>
>    +------------------------------------->
>    |                   <----------------------------------+
>  firewall         laptop eth0      laptop usb0        zaurus usbd0
> 192.168.1.1 <--> 192.168.2.12 <--> 192.168.129.1 <--> 192.168.129.201

	I'm a little confused here.  Why is the network between your
laptop and firewall on different subnets?   Your original post
with all of the routing information shows something a little different
than this diagram.  The PC in the original post is also the firewall?
It seems that eth0 on the firewall has two IP addresses on it.
With 192.168.2.1 being an IP alias.
	I am not sure what you need to do with your internal
network but just from a glance I consider this type of
IP alias setup unjustified unless you just want
more debugging work when things break.  But, you
might have reasons not yet mentioned which
completely justify the means.

	I would follow Tobias's suggestions on getting
a packet sniffer and watching what is happening to your
flow of packets on the line.  In my experience a
packet sniffer and patience has helped a lot more
in debugging these type of issues.  But YMMV.

Some questions I was not clear on are:
Did you turn on IP Forwarding on your laptop?
I assume yes.
Which machine did you flush iptables from?
I'm going assume your firewall and the laptop
so there should be no firewall packet dropping
that should be interfering with this operation.

	If the above 2 questions are yes and
the firewall's 192.168.129.0/24 route has
been pointed to 192.168.1.1/32 as its gateway
I'm rather baffled.  Perhaps, there is more
than meets the eye here.

Cheers,
Alain

"When at home I can move mountains, yet when travelling
in a foreign country I can't even do my laundry." -Unknown