Re: [tlug] CrossOver

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:39:35AM +0900, Dan Lindfield wrote:

>invest in something like crossover rather than retrain my wife!

Go to her office and install Linux, then she can't complain the
stuff at home isn't the same anymore ;-)

While I don't use Crossover Office myself, I'm told it works
as advertised.  One thing you'll want to confirm before buying
is whether or not it will install Office XP.  Office XP
checks to see if it's actually being installed on a Windows
system or not, and if not, the installer bails out.  I don't know
if Crossover Office has a way of fooling the Office XP installer or
not, but it won't install under regular Wine, at least not as
of May, the last time I tried it.  Check that out before you put
your money down.

Also on the topic, there's a very good Sun Microsystems Press/Prentice
Hall title called StarOffice 6.0 Office Suite Companion, which
covers StarOffice 6 and OpenOffice 1.0.  If she takes the time to
learn OO, she might like it just as well or better than MS Office,
and then she can bug her company to get the same software she
has at home.  Heck, when her company finds out that a boxed set
of StarOffice can be had for $75-$80 retail, they might be truly
interested.  It works quite well, and sure beats Microsoft on
the license cost.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9