Re: [tlug] Questions about Japanese input

There are some problems (annotated below) with these instructions it seems:

-----

At a command prompt type

(1) making the scriptx directory

mkdir /usr/bin/scriptx

This creates a directory to keep your script.
Use your favorite text editor to edit the .bash_profile in the home
directory for each user that will be using this script. You will see
something like
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin (it may be longer and have things like /usr/bin:/sbin,
etc)
At the end of the line add (with no spaces)

:/usr/bin/scriptx

Note the colon--that will go directly after the last entry that is already
there--this adds the /usr/bin/scriptx directory to the locations to be
searched for a command.

Notes: This part worked correctly, and I can see /usr/bin/scriptx in my path
when I do

    echo $PATH

(2) creating the script

In a text editor, create the following

#!/bin/bash
export LC_ALL=ja_JP
export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
export XMODIFIERS='@example.com=kinput2'
kinput2 -canna &

Save it as /usr/bin/scriptx/jinputx

Make it executable

chmod 755 /usr/bin/scriptx/jinputx

Notes: I called this "j" instead, but otherwise followed the above
instructions.

(3) setting the alias

In each user's home directory with a text editor, add to their .bashrc file
(in root's, you'll already see a few aliases, in the others, you'll see a
line where they say user specific aliases go here--put it after that)

alias jinputx='. jinputx'

Note that there must be a space after the period.

This was done also and using the

alias

command to check shows my alias for the "j" script.

(4) checking everthing

Last thing--once you do a startx, open a kterm and call this script, if you
want to run an application in Japanese, it has to be called from the same
xterm window. For instance, if you call the script, then, in that window do

echo $LANG

Notes: After running the script, echo $LANG *still* shows the language is
English, not Japanese. But Japanese input works in that kterm.

doug

you'll see that it's Japanese. However, if you then open up a second window
and again do echo $LANG you'll see that it's English.