Re: [tlug] katakana

simon colston <simon@example.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:35:13 +1000
>> Jim Breen <jim.breen@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The unofficial reason for including it was that if
>> > it wasn't done, there would have been roaring about cultural
>> > imperialism, since half-width katakana is as essential a part of
>> > Life-In-Japan as sushi, sashimi and barfing in the gutter.
>>
>> Do you have any references for that?  Would be an interesting read.

I'll say it would be. Sadly, such things don't get written down.

>> Or is
>> this just more Japan bashing?

Of course. That's the reason I have spent the last 20+ years involved
with Japan; travelling there repeatedly, learning the language, working
there, etc. etc. It's all so I can do Japan bashing.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen (j.breen(a)csse.monash.edu.au  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298