[tlug] file permissions

I am using Redhat 8.0

I have a question about file permissions.

I want to give write priveleges to one user to write to only one directory.
Basically my idea is they could use SCP to move a file there every day.

if you type ls -l / by default almost every directory has an x in the right
colum to allow access to other users.  This means they can access those
directories.  It seems funny that by default any other user can access at
least to read almost everything on the system accept for each others home
directories.

So if I want that user to not be able to read anything on the entire server,
or to write anything anywhere else on the server, I would need to create a
/writedirectory with xw (write and access priveleges for that user).  This
is easy, but to keep them from accessing everything else I have to remove
the x priveleges from the rest of the directories in my system, which  seems
like a good idea anyway, but also a pain since some things may stop working.
It would be nice if I could just remove them from Group other, but other
isn't a group. :)

Any advise on how you may have handled this type of situation in the past.
Basically allowing a user to transfer one file every day to my server
securely.  Also what are you opinions about the default read almost
everything to everyone concept which seems inherently wrong.

Thanks

James