Re: [tlug] file permissions

On Wed, 21 May 2003 16:53:49 +0900
"James Cluff" <jc@example.com> wrote:

> I have a question about file permissions.
A unix system is meant to be used by multiple users, thus giving at least
read access to most files and directories.
If you want an environment that restricts a user to a directory, then you
will need to set up a chrooted environment. Most ftp servers (like
proftpd) provide this out of the box.
It's also possible with ssh (if you want scp), but will require more work.
See http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/

> Also what are you opinions about the default read
> almost everything to everyone concept which seems inherently wrong.
This is not wrong. If you will you unix a little longer, you will
understand that it's a neccessity.
For example I have documentation in /usr/share/doc. Is it meant to be only
for the super user? Of course not.
Stuff that needs to be restricted from others (emails, etc) can be secured
so that it suffices most of the time. For the rest of the cases ACLs were
invented.