Re: [tlug] IPTables

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> I've been playing around with iptables (and locking myself out of my box
> of course :) This is bound to be the first of many iptables related
> questions ...

You can use -F to flush the rules

> One thing I haven't been able to find a suitable answer to is what is
> the proper way to get iptables up and running at boot time with rules
> loaded (on a RH 8.0 machine)?

Save your rules by running iptables-save and put the output to
/etc/sysconfig/iptables . This is where iptables read its rules when
start.

#don't forget to run "chkconfig --level 35 iptables on

> I have one tutorial that says to put the rules in rc.local but also
> mentions that this would leave the box open for a small length of time,
> from the time networking is enabled to the time the rules are loaded
> when rc.local gets run.
>
> Can anyone point me to a resource that explains how to get iptables
> started, with rules loaded, before networking is enabled? I'm sure there
> are many "hacks" ... but is there one "recommended" way?

I found this tutorial is very suitable for iptables newbies.

http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/tutorials/blueflux/iptables-tutorial.html

vu hung

|            Nguyen Vu Hung( vuhung@example.com )              |
| The University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan   |
| Takeshi's small space http://www.fedu.uec.ac.jp/~vuhung/ |
| Join KDE-i18n-Vi?       http://vi.i18n.kde.org/          |
| Vn Linux Users Group    http://vietlug.sourceforge.net/  |
| Tokyo Linux Users Group http://www.tlug.gr.jp/           |