[tlug] IPTables

I've been playing around with iptables (and locking myself out of my box
of course :) This is bound to be the first of many iptables related
questions ...

One thing I haven't been able to find a suitable answer to is what is
the proper way to get iptables up and running at boot time with rules
loaded (on a RH 8.0 machine)?

I have one tutorial that says to put the rules in rc.local but also
mentions that this would leave the box open for a small length of time,
from the time networking is enabled to the time the rules are loaded
when rc.local gets run.

Can anyone point me to a resource that explains how to get iptables
started, with rules loaded, before networking is enabled? I'm sure there
are many "hacks" ... but is there one "recommended" way?

Thanks!

Jc