[tlug] how to display japanese in vi?

Hi gang, I'm using the japanese version of SSH 3.1.0 from a windows client
to a RH7.2 server running SSH 3.2. If I cat a file with japanese in it it
displays fine on the screen but if I try and edit said file in vi I get
stuff like this:

~N~D

How can I get vi to use a japanese font when editing douments?

The RH7.2 server has a minimal installation so chances are that fonts and a
few other things aren't on the machine.

Any pointer would be appreciated in helping me hunt down was I need to
install and any settings I need to set.

Thanks,

Jc