[tlug] To others thinking of leaving

It'll be difficult to strike a balance between eloquence and whining
here.

Anyway--a few of the long time members, who have an enormous amount of
knowledge, have left.  To those who haven't, please consider:

There are many of us who are grateful for the time you spend to help.
Ms. Kato's proposed faq may solve some of the recent problems.
It's hot and everyone is irritable.  :)

(Hrrm, as I type, here in NYC, it suddenly started to thunder--it looks
like we're having a storm that will break our own heat wave).

Some of us (and perhaps my advanced age is a factor) are better at
taking criticism--or perhaps, having spent time on various *nix
lists--or martial arts lists, which are far more volatile--are able to
take criticism and learn from it.  Even those who complain at first
often see that the person criticizing is usually offering guidance, even
if it's not done politely.

I think that most folks who stick around come to that way of thinking,
and realize that the knowledge and experience of some of the "cruftier"
to borrow a Dougherty phrase, members of the list allows them to be
brusque.  One can argue back and forth about this--should they be nice,
or not.  My own feeling is that I'd rather someone tear me up and teach
me while they're doing it--I wish they'd be nicer, but if they taught me
something while tearing me up, then the end result is a good thing--the
embarrassment only lasts a couple of days, the knowledge, a lifetime.
:)

So, selfish sort that I am, I ask that other knowledgeable and
experienced people please stay on the list--there are many of us who are
grateful for your assistance and learn from it--and sometimes, those who
learn the most are those who complained at first.

Thanks

Scott from NYC

Spike: It's a big rock. Can't wait to tell my friends. They
don't have a rock this
big.