Re: [tlug] CVS and Japanese files

    Shimpei> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 10:44:12AM +0900, Ryan Shaw
    Shimpei> wrote:

    >> However, my new co-worker says that CVS always corrupts
    >> Japanese files, and demonstrated it with an SJIS resource file
    >> containing half-width katakana.

People who choose to work with Shift JIS get what they deserve.

    Shimpei> Basically, the simplest solution is to write everything
    Shimpei> in EUC or UTF-8.

I strongly recommend UTF-8.  Someday you will want the flexibility,
and right now there's no real cost to choosing that rather than EUC.
Yes, it costs a little space---if you're worried about space, try
Bitkeeper.  Linus seems happy with it.  ;-)  As Emerson said, "Size
is the hobgoblin of inconsistent minds."

That said, I recommended ISO-2022-JP for XEmacs in 1997, and we have
_never_ had a problem with CVS and multilingual files since.  Windows
CRLFs cause pain every so often, but not charsets.

So basically it comes down to avoiding a coded character set which
shows all the symptoms of being designed to maximize the amount of
developer time wasted on incorrect design.  Microsoft thinks that way,
too.

    Shimpei> I'm not sure what a good solution is to this problem;
    Shimpei> personally, I think you should just ban hankaku, but I
    Shimpei> hate hankaku with a passion

ISO 7-bit means never having to hate hankaku, it's all the same with
everything except ASCII ;-)