[tlug] CVS and Japanese files

Hello,

Have any of you who have used CVS ever had problems
with it corrupting Japanese files? I have been using
CVS for a long time with Japanese HTML/XML files and
resource bundles, and have never had problems with
corruption.

However, my new co-worker says that CVS always corrupts
Japanese files, and demonstrated it with an SJIS resource
file containing half-width katakana.

I know that CVS does line-end conversion and keyword
substitution but I don't understand why it would be
finding these within Japanese text strings. Checking
in all the Japanese files as binary isn't a solution
as I need to track changes to these files.

Any insights you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan