Re: [tlug] FreeBSD.....Linux what's the difference

I started out with RedHat 5.2 and went to FreeBSD about a year later.
All of the dependency issues in RedHat were driving me crazy. Apparently a
lot of that is fixed now.
The ports system in FreeBSD is what I really liked.

> If you're familiar with Linux, it's not hard to use BSD. Some things
> are in different places, and BSD uses (quite naturally) BSD-style
> init scripts rather than the SYS V style followed by Linux.
> For software packaging, BSD uses the ports system (read about it
> at freebsd.org), which is quite nice.  Want to install some
> program? If it's in ports, just cd to its directory and type make.
> The source tarball will be downloaded, it will be configured, and
> compiled.  Then do make install.  You're done.

Actually, you can just do that in one step: make install
This also automatically checks for dependencies and downloads and installs
everything else that is needed as well.

The cvsup program allows you to easy keep the whole ports tree up to date.
A lot of people run it from a cron so that they are always up to date on
everything.

Shawn