Re: [tlug] html editor :) IBM Homepage Builder

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Jim Breen wrote:

> >> I changed the charset value to shift-jis instead of shift_jis and now it
> >> displays correctly in my browser.
>
> Possibly only because "shift-jis" is not recognized, so once you put that, the
> autodetect cut in.
>
> PS, the standard is "Shift_JIS" AFAIK.

Hm, interesting  --

I loaded the html source into emacs and it recognised the japanese
characters.  M-x describe-current-coding-system says:

Coding system for saving this buffer:
  S -- japanese-shift-jis-dos

But I think you are right about Shift_JIS being the standard name.

OK, I have looked into it some more.

When I load the page in mozilla, from
http://ww6.tiki.ne.jp/~mecooper/index.ja.jis.html, the "Page Info" window
says Encoding: ISO-2022-JP, and the page is displayed as mojibake.

When I save it to a file and read it again, it displays ok (regardless of
the charset setting ih the meta tag).

But this is perhaps what's really going on:

% telnet ww6.tiki.ne.jp 80
Trying 202.214.149.69...
Connected to mx6.tiki.ne.jp.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD /%7Emecooper/index.ja.jis.html HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK