Re: [tlug] html editor :) IBM Homepage Builder

[Micheal E Cooper (Re: [tlug] html editor :) IBM Homepage Builder) writes:]
>> > Usually, you should use iso-2022-jp (=JIS) for web pages and e-mail, but
>>
>> So 2022-jp is JIS. I assume that shift-JIS is a variation of JIS, then.

Hmmm. The code we are talking about is JIS X 0208-1997. The 7-bit encoding
of this using escape sequences used to be called "JIS" , and is now called
by its ISO family name: ISO-2022

>> This is the kind of info I need. So EUC-jp was the unix Japanese standard,
>> right?

EUC was, AFAIK, invented by AT&T for use with Unix. I think it stood for
Extended Unix Code. Microsoft went and invented their own: Shift_JIS,
sometimes known as MSKanji. I have a page about all this at
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/coding_inf.html

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298